2. In the Opinion piece “On Dying After Your Time,” Daniel Callahan argues that extending human life would actually diminish our lives. Read the article and then answer three of the following questions on your blog.
- Should scientists try to help people beat old age so we can live radically longer lives? Why?
- How long would you want to live, if you could choose your life span?
- Do you agree with the author that “adding years to a life doesn’t necessarily make it any fuller?”
- What would be the benefits of a scientific breakthrough that allowed people to live radically longer lives?
- Do you think the benefits outweigh the potential negative consequences, such as higher health care costs for society and fewer jobs for young people? Explain.
When you finish your post, you will be reading and commenting on the posts of 3 other students in the room. Remember to keep your posts specific to the topic and geared to generating feedback and questions for the writer.
4. Short Speeches
HW: Choose an opinion piece to read on your own and make a copy of the Article Analysis document in your Quarter 3 folder. Complete before next class- be ready to discuss the piece you read!
Opinion Pieces that may interest you: